Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Acadamia and Bounty Island

Sorry for the lack of update. I spent the week and a half after my trip to the West furiously working on a research project. I spent long hours in the Pacific Studies department at USP typing up my research project on World War II hertiage sites on Viti Levu. It came together pretty well. I gave my oral presentation this morning, which went pretty well. I'm not the best public speaker, but I got through it. I'm having my paper, a wopping 43 pages with pictures and maps printed and bound in the next couple days.

As a special treat for finishing my project fairly early, I took a trip to Bounty Island in the Mamanuca group with my two good friends, Austin and Brian. The Mamanucas are a pretty touristy area. We bargained some great "local" deals and got to split our own Bure on the beach. It was so nice to get away and just relax. The boys were still doing some research, but I decided to spend all my time on fun. We really enjoyed the delicious meals, cheap happy hours, and sunsets in one of the most beautiful parts of the world. I spent most of my days under the ocean water enjoying the beautiful marine reserve off the shore. I finally got to do one of my favorite hobbies in the world. Austin and Brian even came with me on one trip out to the reef and we all got to experience together. It was incredibly beautiful and exhilerating. I would love to take a trip to Fiji just to do this one activity.

I spent some quality time with my host brothers when we came back from Bounty. We all went to see a Night at the Museum with some of my visiting cousins from Niue. It was a really great time.

I'm leaving the country in less than a week. It's going to be hard to leave, and say goodbye to all the people I've grown to care about, but overwhelmingly I feel ready to come home. I'm ready to enjoy a Kansas City summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment