Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Coke Games and a Busy Weekend

This past week was our last week of official classes. I had my Fijian language final exam as well as a couple projects to present. It feels really nice to be done. Now we just have five weeks left. 4 of those are dedicated to ISP, our month long research project. I've been working on mine pretty consistently. I'm hoping to finish early so I can have time to travel. I'm going to start my fieldwork tomorrow by exploring some World War II tunnels attached to the Fiji Museum. It should be a good time.

My home-stay house has been crazy lately. The New Zealand family left for home, which was sad. I really liked a couple of the kids. My two brothers, Dan and Bill, are both back for the week. I love having them home because I have people to laugh and hang out with.

There's also 4 pastors from the Pentecostal Church staying at our house for a huge conference. A few of them are pretty nice, but there is one guy who drives me crazy. He told me the Lutheran Church was falling apart and that Martin Luther's life meant nothing now. He also preached about the evils of Harry Potter. I've decided to just not have anything to do with the conference. One of my friends here is living with an Anglican priest and his family so I've started attending their church. It's a beautiful building and a nice community.

The biggest homestay news is that I have a dad now. He came back from his UN mission in Georgia for this conference. He is super Pentecostal. I haven't connected with him very well yet. I think it bothers him that I don't want anything to do with his religion. He's a pretty nice guy though.

This past weekend I went with my brother Danny to the Coke Games, which is the highschool track and field championships for all of Fiji. It's a huge deal. Everyone wears their school colors and has special cheers. It was definitely the most exciting track meet I had ever been too. Whenever a race was remotely close, everyone would stand up and start screaming at the top of their lungs for their racer. It was intense.

This weekend was also my friend Lindsay's 21st birthday, so we all went out to celebrate. It was really fun. We had a nice spagetti dinner at her house last night. Her dad is a famous Fijian politician who vocally opposes the government and loves to party. It was cool to meet him. He's one of the few Fijians I've met who actively speaks out against what's happening to his country. Overall it was a hectic fun weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment